Georgetown in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Civil War Armory
Georgetown Home Guard
Erected 1976 by Growlersburg Chapter 86, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
Location. 38° 54.356′ N, 120° 50.368′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is on Lower Main Street (aka Wentworth Springs Road) north of Georgetown Road (California Highway 193), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6261 Wentworth Springs Road, Georgetown CA 95634, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wells Fargo Building (a few steps from this marker); Georgetown Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Jonathan Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Balsar House / I.O.O.F Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Shannon Knox House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgetown Volunteer FiremenChief Jack Anderson (about 300 feet away); Georgetown (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
1. Civil War Armory
During the early years of the Civil War, California businessmen feared the intrusion of Southern troops seeking the rich gold resources. Northern military agreed, and established "home guards" in gold country communities. The Georgetown Blues formed as a military group in 1859 as Georgetown's Union Guard, but wasn't officially recognized until 1863.
The Armory building was constructed in 1862 as an office and storage facility for the Blues. At the war's end the building was used for storage. It was damaged in the 1869 fire and then sat vacant.
In 1881, the building was remodeled for use as a Catholic Church and the priest's residence and study.
In 1934, it became the Post Office and residence of the Postmistress, Mrs. Lempi Kivi Aho.
The building is now used for commercial purposes.
Source: Georgetown Walking Tour Brochure
— Submitted April 28, 2012.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 28, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.