Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sidney Park C.M.E. Church
Sidney Park C.M.E. Church was founded in 1886 and has been at this site since 1889. It grew out of a dispute among members of Bethel A.M.E. Church, who left that congregation and applied to join the Colored Methodist Episcopal (now Christian Methodist Episcopal) Church. The congregation acquired this site in 1886 and built its first sanctuary, a frame building, in 1889. That church burned by 1892.
This Gothic Revival brick church, built in 1893, was constructed by members who provided materials and labor. In the 1930s many members joined the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), and the church later hosted many meetings during the Civil Rights Movement. Sidney Park was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
Erected 2012 by The Historic Columbia Foundation, The City of Columbia, and the S.C. Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 40~159.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion Civil Rights.
Location. 34° 0.47′ N, 81° 2.221′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Blanding Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1114 Blanding Street, Columbia SC 29201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blanding Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia City Hall (about 500 feet away); Laurel Street (about 500 feet away); Taylor Street (about 700 feet away); Jefferson Hotel (about 800 feet away); Ladson Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away); Canal Dime Savings Bank/Bouie v. City of Columbia (1964) (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 898 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 29, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.