New Cavalry Barracks
The first occupants of the barracks were the soldiers of “F” Troop, 5th U.S. Cavalry. In 1941 the 5th Cavalry left the post and the barracks were used by the 112th Cavalry of the Texas National Guard. The Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th Cavalry, African American troops, moved
The two-story rectangular plan barracks is built atop a raised concrete basement. Load-bearing walls are of limestone webwall construction, with cast stone window sills and steel lintels. The main elevation is divided into fifteen bays by square wooden columns, with a cross-braced railing along the second-story porch.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15811.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Buffalo Soldiers series list.
Location. 29° 18.334′ N, 100° 25.146′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of McClernand Road and Baylor Street, on the right when traveling west on McClernand Road. Marker is located on Fort Clark Springs in the Fort Clark National Register Historic District and is accessible to the public. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 McClernand Road, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Regarding New Cavalry Barracks. The New Cavalry Barracks on Fort Clark is a classic and enduring example of army architecture from the late 1930’s with perhaps a one of a kind design to suit the specific location of the building. Today, although the building is not in use, it is being sensibly maintained by the Fort Clark Springs Association until an appropriate adaptive reuse of the building can be undertaken. Of the four two story cavalry barracks remaining in the Fort Clark Historic District two have experienced irreversible unsympathetic modifications to create motel units and a third is not in a good state of repair. Only this barracks, “Seminole Hall,” stands alone as essentially unaltered and a stellar model of responsible preservation.
The New Cavalry Barracks is the finest example of 20th
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 721 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.