Near Hamptonville in Yadkin County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Flat Rock Baptist Church
One of the oldest Baptist churches in Western North Carolina. It was constituted as Petty's Meeting House on June 10, 1783. The name was changed to Flat Rock Baptist Church in 1802. Under the leadership of William Petty, the first pastor, Flat Rock helped establish many other Baptist churches and became known as the "Mother of Many".
This church was instrumental in the organization of the Yadkin Baptist Association of October 13, 1786. It is the only church of the 14 charter members that is still active in the Association. Native and African American members of the church community are among the many buried in the cemetery.
Erected 2003 by Yadkin County Historical Society. (Marker Number 3.)
Location. 36° 5.943′ N, 80° 46.496′ W. Marker is near Hamptonville, North Carolina, in Yadkin County. Marker is at the intersection of Flat Rock Church Road (Route 1126) and Mauldin Road, on the right when traveling west on Flat Rock Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamptonville NC 27020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Windsor's Crossroads (approx. 3.8 miles away); Yadkinville (approx. 7.1 miles away); Second Yadkin County Jail (approx. 7.1 miles away); Thomas L. Clingman (approx. 7.8 miles away); Deep Creek Friends Meeting (approx. 9 miles away); Bond Schoolhouse (approx. 9 miles away); Bond School House (approx. 9 miles away); Harmony Hill Camp Meeting (approx. 9½ miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Native Americans •
More. Search the internet for Flat Rock Baptist Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 11, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.