Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Charles Carroll House
Charles Carroll of Annapolis (1702 – 1782), father of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, built the original portion of this house during the 1720s near the home of his own father, Charles Carroll the Settler (1660 – 1720). Charles Carroll of Carrollton lived here with his parents until 1743 when he departed for studies abroad. He returned here in 1765 and married his cousin, Mary Darnall (1749 – 1782) here on June 5, 1768. Charles and “Molly” Carroll used this house as their principal urban residence, and several of their seven children were born – and died – here. During the early 1770s Carroll enlarged the original structure and improved the grounds and gardens. In 1773 he launched his political career within these walls by composing his “First Citizen” letters that supported the rights of the people of Maryland against Lord Baltimore’s authority. The Carrolls entertained many important guests
In 1852 Carroll’s four Caton granddaughters conveyed the house and surrounding land to the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptorisits) on the condition that the property “be always consecrated to religion.” The Redemptorists added the west wing to the house in 1856 to provide additional space for their Novitiate.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Signers of the Declaration of Independence series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1783.
Location. 38° 58.468′ N, 76° 29.28′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker can be reached from Duke of Gloucester StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 Duke of Gloucester Street, Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charles Carroll House North Porch (a few steps from this marker); The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary Under the Title of the Immaculate Conception (within shouting distance of this marker); Sally Wern Comport's "Shaping a City" (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonial Annapolis (approx. 0.2 miles away); This tablet (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Annapolis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leonard A. Blackshear Walk (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roger W. Moyer (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Also see . . .
1. Charles Carroll of Carrollton – The Signer. Biography of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (Submitted on May 12, 2012.)
2. Charles Carroll of Annapolis. (Submitted on May 12, 2012.)
3. Charles Carroll the Settler. (Submitted on May 12, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 693 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 12, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 4. submitted on September 7, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on May 12, 2012, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 6. submitted on May 12, 2012.