Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Original Gas Street Light

 
 
Original Gas Street Light Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 12, 2012
1. Original Gas Street Light Marker
Inscription.  1964

This is one of the original gas street lights of the town of West End.

Presented to the West End Business Men’s Association by the family of Jesse M. Manry and placed on the grounds of the Wren’s Nest for perpetual care
 
Erected 1964 by Family of Jesse M. Manry.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1964.
 
Location. 33° 44.283′ N, 84° 25.333′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard, SW (Georgia Route 139) 0 miles east of Lawton Street SW, on the right when traveling east. The marker stands in the front yard of the Wren's Nest, the home of Joel Chandler Harris. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1050 Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard, SW, Atlanta GA 30310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Wren’s Nest (a few steps from this marker); The Exterior Line (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stewart Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church South (approx. 0.9 miles away); Atlanta Student Movement
Original Gas Street Light Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, May 12, 2012
2. Original Gas Street Light Marker
The Wren's Nest, home of Joel Chandler Harris, is visible in the background.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. one mile away); Atlanta Student Movement Planned (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named The Atlanta Student Movement (approx. one mile away); An Appeal for Human Rights (approx. one mile away); Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C. (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
Regarding Original Gas Street Light. West End became part of the City of Atlanta on January 1, 1894. The West End Businessmen's Association was formed in 1927.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 384 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=55316

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 21, 2022