Near Winnabow in Brunswick County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Brunswick Town State Historic Site
Brunswick Town State Historic Site was established on land donated to the State of North Carolina in December, 1952, by James Laurence Sprunt and his four sons, James Laurence Sprunt, Jr., Kenneth Murchison Sprunt, Samuel Nash Sprunt, and Laurence Gray Sprunt. The 114.5-acre tract, formerly part of Orton Plantation, constitutes the entire site except for 5.25 acres donated by the Episcopal Diocese of East Carolina which includes the ruins of Old St. Philips church.
In grateful recognition of these generous and public-spirited gifts to the people of the State of North Carolina the Department of Archives and History has erected this plaque, June 30, 1972.
Erected 1972 by Department of Archives and History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era. A significant historical date for this entry is June 30, 1881.
Location. 34° 2.388′ N, 77° 56.778′ W. Marker is near Winnabow, North Carolina, in Brunswick County. Marker is on St. Philips Road east of River Road (North Carolina Highway 133). Follow the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8884 Saint Philips Rd SE, Winnabow NC 28479, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); John LaPierre (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Maurice Moore (within shouting distance of this marker); Russelborough (approx. 0.4 miles away); Russellborough (approx. 0.4 miles away); Orton Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away); St. Philips Church (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winnabow.
More about this marker. It is on the wall of the visitor’s center.
Regarding Brunswick Town State Historic Site. “A major pre-Revolutionary port on North Carolina’s Cape Fear River, Brunswick was razed by British troops in 1776 and never rebuilt. During the Civil War, Fort Anderson was constructed atop the old village site. Colonial foundations dot the present-day tour trail, which crosses the earthworks of the Confederate fort. This serene riverside setting, colonial and Civil War history, and colorful exhibits will be long remembered by visitors. ”
Also see . . . Brunswicktown/Fort Anderson. Project 543 entry (Submitted on February 28, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,370 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 5. submitted on August 12, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of the visitor’s center showing the marker. • Can you help?