During the American Revolution, the jail became Fort Johnstown as well as a military prison. The structure was fortified with a surrounding palisade and lookout towers at diagonal corners. It was manned by militia companies to protect the Sacandaga from enemy infiltration.
Fort Johnstown served as a base for Col. Marinus Willett and 400 militia on October 25, 1781, when a British raiding party of over 700 Loyalists and Indians withdrew through Johnstown after burning a great swath of the Mohawk Valley.
Willett's men attacked the retreating British in a battle strung along the route of today's Johnson Avenue. An interpretive sign marks the final battle site in a field northeast of Johnson Hall.
Erected by HeritageNY.Gov.
Location. 43° 0.175′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Johnstown (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Johnstown (here, next to this marker); Talmadge Edwards (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Burk's Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1 Mile to Baronial Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elizabeth Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony (approx. ¼ mile away); Elizabeth Cady Stanton (approx. ¼ mile away); Matthias B. Hildreth (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnstown.
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Fort Johnstown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2012, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 379 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2012, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.