Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Citrus to Celery
During the winter of 1894-95, a freeze destroyed most citrus groves in the area. Local farmers faced economic ruin from the loss of their citrus crop. Area farmers survived by converting their citrus groves into vegetable farms.
Although a variety of vegetables were grown in the area celery became the dominant crop. By the early 1900s, Sanford was known as the "Celery City." A street was named for the crop and the local high school teams became known as the "Celery Feds." The last major celery crop was harvested in 1970.
[ Photographs ]
Celery crop being harvested.
Sanford produce being loaded onto train headed
Citrus industry workers clearing out another plentiful Sanford orange crop.
[ Postcard illustration ]
A Sanford postcard advertising its claim to fame during the 1920s.
Images courtesy of Sanford Museum
Erected by the City of Sanford.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1970.
Location. 28° 48.823′ N, 81° 15.888′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of East Seminole Boulevard and North Sanford Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East Seminole Boulevard. The marker is located along the Sanford RiverWalk overlooking the eastern half of the city marina and Marina Island. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sanford FL 32771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Steamboats (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sanford Est. 1877 (about 600 feet away); Early City Development (approx. 0.2 miles away); The U.S. Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bishop Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Mellon Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry Shelton Sanford (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Meisch Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the logo of the City of Sanford.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 15, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.