Near Manchester in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1840 the Reverend Frederich Schmid of Ann Arbor organized the Evangelical German Bethel Congregation in Freedom Township. Schmid, a missionary pastor originally from Basil, Switzerland, frequently traveled to the township and held services in the Kuebler District School, one mile east of here. In 1849, Johannes and Louis Strieter deeded one acre of land to the congregation. Church members built a log church on the lot where they worshipped until 1857 when a frame building replaced it. That church stood just west of here. The church served until 1909 when the present structure was dedicated. Services were conducted only in German until 1926 when English was introduced into the Sunday school. German services officially ended in 1955. Today, Bethel Church is a member of the United Church of Christ.
This Gothic Revival-style church, designed and built by Charles A. Sauer and Company of Ann Arbor, was dedicated on December 18, 1909. The Manchester Enterprise boasted that it was "one of the most complete church edifices in the state." Earlier that year the congregation had agreed to build
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1666.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 10.858′ N, 83° 55.933′ W. Marker is near Manchester, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Bethel Church Road and Schneider Road, on the right when traveling east on Bethel Church Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10425 Bethel Church Road, Manchester MI 48158, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Manchester War Memorial (approx. 6.7 miles away); Riverside Mortuary Chapel / Wirt Rowland (approx. 7.6 miles away); Clinton / Site of the Clinton Inn St. John's Episcopal Church (approx. 7.8 miles away); Saline Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.8 miles away); Jira Payne House / The Smith-Kimball Family (approx. 7.9 miles away); Clinton Woolen Mill (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manchester.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. This page has been viewed 338 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 15, 2012, by Dave Wilcox of Grass Lake, Michigan. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.