Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Original Post Cemetery
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16860.)
Location. 29° 18.03′ N, 100° 25.167′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is on Travis Road, on the left when traveling east. The marker is located on Fort Clark Springs and is accessible to the public. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking John Horse (within shouting distance of this marker); 1873 Infantry Barracks (approx. 0.3 miles away); Palisado Building Kitchen / Mess Room (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Clark Guardhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Clark Post Theater (approx. 0.3 miles away); Commanding Officer's Quarters (was approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); New Cavalry Barracks (approx. 0.4 miles away); Juan A. Avila 1921-2008 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
More about this marker. The site is now in adaptive reuse as the Mascot Dog Park.
Regarding Site of Original Post Cemetery. The remains of Fort Clark’s original post cemetery lie to the south and east of the fort’s National Register Historic District. At the site is a 110’ x 258’ limestone walled enclosure which was once the resting place for over ninety souls, soldiers, civilians, and unknowns from the fort’s earliest period of service, 1856 until the early 1880s. The site is compellingly linked to Fort Clark’s significant contribution to United States Army heritage.
Fort Clark quietly and unceremoniously slipped into history and out of active service on August 28, 1944. The Corps of Engineers served as caretakers until the venerable post was declared surplus and sold for salvage to the Texas Railway Equipment Company in October of 1946. The Quitclaim Deed
The task of removing all remains from both post cemeteries was accomplished with military precision by a graves registration unit and local laborers. Using cemetery records, as each body was recovered, an identity was established. Existing headstones were pushed into the now empty graves. Several recovered headstones from the original post cemetery are now located on the fort grounds at the Empty Saddle statue and at the Old Guardhouse Museum.
Final accounting for the remains from Fort Clark’s post cemeteries can be verified from the Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery – VA Form 40-4972 National Cemetery Data, dated 30 September 1977, Facts of Special Historical Significance: Remains from abandoned post cemeteries in Texas; i.e. Ft. Clark (345), Fort Clark unknowns reinterred September 24, 1946, Section PE: Site 23, 43 Army; Site 24, 42 Civilians; and Site 237, 1 Child.
The sturdy walls of
Also see . . . Friends of the Fort Clark Historic District. Guided tours, presentations and programs, genealogical and archival research assistance ... and much more. (Submitted on August 13, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
More. Search the internet for Site of Original Post Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 619 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on May 17, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. 3. submitted on May 15, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. 4. submitted on May 4, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.