Nauvoo in Hancock County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Internal confusion and conflicts with surrounding communities grew as Nauvoo increased in size. Joseph traveled to Carthage, Illinois to answer charges related to the destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor press. While in Carthage Joseph and his brother Hyrum were killed by an angry mob, on June 27, 1844. Their bodies were returned to the Mansion House where they laid in state until the burial.
Emma and her family continued to live in the Mansion House for a time, and she remained in Nayvoo until her death on April 30, 1879. By the 1890's the hotel wing had deteriorated and it was torn down. The foundation of the hotel wing can be seen on the east side of the Mansion House.
Erected 2003 by Community of Christ.
Marker series. This Mormon Pioneer Trail marker series.
Location. 40° 32.46′ N, 91° 23.491′ W. Marker is in Nauvoo, Illinois, in Hancock County. Marker is on South Main Street north of Water Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 890 South Main Street, Nauvoo IL 62354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nauvoo Survey Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Bidamon Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); The Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Nauvoo House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Red Brick Store (about 500 feet away); Nauvoo, Illinois (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Icarian Community in Nauvoo (approx. 0.4 miles away); Exodus to Greatness (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nauvoo.
Also see . . . The Mansion House. Joseph Smith Historic Site (Submitted on May 18, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Mansion House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.