Tilden in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Farm in Chippewa County
(Located directly southwest of this Tilden Fire Station)
In 1847, a German by the name of George Myers arrived in Chippewa Falls looking for a tract of land for farming purposes. Prior to that time no one had attempted to cultivate any larger spot of ground than a garden patch. He chose this tract of land about six miles northwest of the "Falls" in what was then the town of Eagle Point and since becoming a part of the town of Tilden in 1883. The mercantile firm of Allen and Bass transported for him by boat, his farming implements and other necessaries.
The embryo 80-acre farm was composed of prairie, timberland and a fresh spring. Here the pioneer farmer of Chippewa County broke ground for corn, wheat and other products. Within a short time he built a comfortable log cabin, married a woman he met from the area, and cultivated highly productive acres that were the envy of the whole surrounding countryside.
In the 1850's William Henneman (later to become Chairman of Chippewa County's first Commission form of government) purchased the farm.
Marker Sign #17
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 44° 59.266′ N, 91° 27.126′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Wisconsin, in Chippewa County. Marker is on 100th Avenue, 0.7 miles west of County Highway Q, on the right when traveling west. Marker is at the Tilden Town Hall and Fire Department. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10790 100th Avenue, Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Peter's Catholic Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Nation's First Cooperative Generating Station (approx. 3.3 miles away); Pioneer Norwegian Log Home (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sunny Valley School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bear Den Road Bridge (approx. 3˝ miles away); William Irvine (approx. 3.7 miles away); In Memory of Old Abe (approx. 3.7 miles away); Irvine Park Drive Bridge (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Town of Tilden: About us. Town website entry (Submitted on May 22, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 774 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 22, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.