Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
200th Anniversary of Albany Charter
Two Hundredth Anniversary
As a chartered city
Settled about 1624:
Charter Granted by Gov. Dongan:
July 22 1606:
State Legislature Held Here Permanently Since 1797:
Early Names Of The City:
Fort Orange: Beverwyck: Wilemstadt:
First Mayor 1686: Pieter Schuyler:
Centennial " " 1786: Johannes Jacobse Beekman:
Bi-Centennial " " 1886: John Boyd Thacher:
John Boyd Thacher, Mayor And Chairman. A. Bleeker Banks, Ex Mayor And Vice Chairman.
Robert Lenox Banks Anthony N. Brady Walter Dickson Franklin M. Danaher Archibald McClure Townsend Lansing Lewis Boss Douw H. Fonda Charles E. Jones Rufus H. King James H. Manning Edward J. Meegan Michael N. Nolan John C. Nott Amasa J. Parker Jr Robert D. Williams Samuel
Galen R. Hitt John Zimmerman Patrick McCann James Thornton Augustus Whitman John J. Greagan David J. Norton George L. Thomas James O. Woodward Jeremiah Kieley
Erected by City of Albany.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Events.
Location. 42° 39.105′ N, 73° 45.295′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of Eagle Street and Corning Place, on the left when traveling south on Eagle Street. The marker is located at Albany City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 Eagle Street, Albany NY 12207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. City Hall Carillon (here, next to this marker); The King's Highway (a few steps from this marker); 1624-1924 (a few steps from this marker); Kilian Van Rensselaer (within shouting distance of this marker); Schuyler Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); NYS Capitol & Albany City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Frederick (within shouting distance of this marker); Academy Park (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
More about this marker. The Marker is mounted on the facade of City Hall at the base of the bell tower. In 1927 a carillon of 47 notes (actually 60 bells with double bells on the top notes) was installed in the Albany City Hall tower. This was the first municipal carillon in the USA and the first built with funds by public subscription. The total cost was $63,000 and the carillon was installed by John Taylor and Co., of England.
Additional keywords. Albany Charter 1686 1886 Bicentenial
Credits. This page was last revised on October 4, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 3,814 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 20, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.