South Portland in Cumberland County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Civilian Conservation Corps
This plaque was dedicated by Chapter 111 Alumni by former members of the Civilian Conservation Corps in memory of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the members, who served at this post and other C.C.C. camps in Maine and throughout the United States between the years of 1933 to 1942.
Dedicated August 1986
Erected 1986 by Chapter 111 CCC Alumni.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Environment. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and the Former U.S. Presidents: #32 Franklin D. Roosevelt series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1933.
Location. 43° 38.824′ N, 70° 13.623′ W. Marker is in South Portland, Maine, in Cumberland County. Marker is along the Spring Point Shoreway Trail, about 150 feet south of the Computer and Electronics Center on the Southern Maine Community College campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Portland ME 04106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Settlement (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shipbuilding Coast Artillery Corps at Fort Preble (about 600 feet away); First Congregational Church of South Portland (about 600 feet away); Coast Artillery Corps Memorial (about 600 feet away); Morris P. Cates (about 800 feet away); Fort Preble (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Gorges (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Portland.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . The Civilian Conservation Corps in Maine. (Submitted on May 22, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 682 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.