Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Colonial Church of Augusta
Augusta, April 12, 1750
In June 1737, under orders from General James Oglethorpe, Captain Roger Lacy began a musketproof fort of wooden piles on the site where Saint Paul's stands today. Lay readers conducted religious services in Fort Augusta, and in 1749 the citizens of Augusta erected an adjoining church that would become Saint Paul's Church. Once the building was completed, a group of gentlemen applied to the Trustees of the colony for a minister. In 1751, the Reverend Jonathan Copp arrived in Augusta, the first of four missionaries sent by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts during the pre-Revolutionary period.
(Church Plan, 1749 Included)
The original church plan depicted here in the Colonial Chapel paving reflects the rural Anglican church style of the period, with side entrances, a central freestanding pulpit, and a simple communion table. The rows of benches and the officer's pew accommodated the garrison of the fort.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era.
Location. 33° 28.591′ N, 81° 57.658′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker can be reached from Reynolds Street. Located in the northern yards of St. Paul's Church, reached from 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 Reynolds Street, Augusta GA 30901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Five Indian Nations (a few steps from this marker); Fort Augusta (a few steps from this marker); Railroads (a few steps from this marker); Washington's Southern Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Marshall Robert Forsyth (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Augusta ~ Fort Cornwallis / St. Paul's Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Navigation (about 400 feet away); Colonel William Few, Jr. (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . Saint Paul's Church history. Located in the church yard is a celtic cross marking the location of the fort. At its base is a cannon believed to have been brought in the 1730's by General Oglethorpe from England to be used at Fort Augusta. (Submitted on May 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 508 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.