Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

September 16, 1862

 
 
September 16, 1862 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 5, 2007
1. September 16, 1862 Marker
Inscription.  
Early in the morning the 20-pounder Parrott gun batteries of Taft, Langer, von Kleiser and Wever, First New York Artillery, were in position on the ridge east of the Antietam and north of Boonsboro Pike; Battery E (Benjamin's) 2nd U.S. and Battery I (Weed's) 5th U.S. on the ridge south of the Pike and all engaged the Confederate artillery on the heights east and north of Sharpsburg. About 8 a.m. four companies of the Fourth U.S. Infantry crossed the Antietam by the Middle Bridge and late in the day, engaged the Confederate infantry. About noon Morell's Division, Fifth Corps, arrived from Frederick and encamped near Keedysville. The Ninth Corps moved to the left on high ground opposite and commanding the lower stone bridge. Between 3 and 4 p.m., Hooker's (First) Corps crossed the Antietam by the Upper Bridge and a ford below it, moved westerly until it reached the high ground near the Hagerstown Pike, then changed direction to the left, moved south and encountered the Confederate outposts, on and near the Smoketown Road, about one and three quarter miles north from this point. The advance was continued under artillery and musketry fire until
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
dark, when Hooker went into bivouack, the right of his line on the Hagerstonw Pike where it entered the East Woods from the North. During the night Mansfield's (Twelfth) Corps crossed the Antietam by the Upper Bridge and bivouacked about a mile in Hooker's rear.
 
Erected by Antietam Battlefield Board. (Marker Number 119.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Antietam Campaign War Department Markers series list.
 
Location. 39° 28.176′ N, 77° 44.181′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Richardson Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Located at a tablet cluster near the Sunken Road next to the observation tower, stop eight on the driving tour of Antietam. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Army of the Potomac (here, next to this marker); September 17, 1862 (here, next to this marker); September 17, 1862 (Continued) (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named September 17, 1862 (Continued) (here, next to this marker); Army of Northern Virginia (a few steps from this marker);
September 16, 1862 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
2. September 16, 1862 Marker
a different marker also named Army of Northern Virginia (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Army of Northern Virginia (a few steps from this marker); Hexamer's (New Jersey) Battery (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
 
More about this marker. One of five tablets erected at this location to describe the activities of the Army of the Potomac from September 15-17, 1862.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Upper Bridge and Middle Bridge
 
Also see . . .
1. Antietam Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on February 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Taft's Battery, 5th NY Light Artillery Battery. Captain Elijah Taft commanded a battery of 20-pounder Parrott rifles at the battle. The heavy weight of the gun hindered its use in many situations. But it out-ranged most other weapons on the battlefield, reaching to 1900 yards. (Submitted on February 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Tablet Cluster next to the Observation Tower image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain
3. Tablet Cluster next to the Observation Tower
September 16, 1862 Marker<br>Second From the Left image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, September 19, 2015
4. September 16, 1862 Marker
Second From the Left
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 3, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 909 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on September 27, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3. submitted on February 20, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on September 27, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5564

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024