Pawhuska in Osage County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
"The Rich Oil History of the Osage"
On March 16, 1896, the first oil and gas lease was obtained covering all the Osage Reservation, and on October 28, 1897 the first producing well was completed and oil sold May, 1900.
The oil sold from this well was the first sold from an oil well in Oklahoma.
Since this historic beginning, billions of barrels of oil have been sold from wells in the Osage Nation, and Osage County became the state's most prolific oil producing area.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 36° 39.714′ N, 96° 19.867′ W. Marker is in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, in Osage County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Srteet (U.S. 60) and Lynn Avenue, on the left when traveling west on East Main Srteet. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pawhuska OK 74056, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Pawhuska (here, next to this marker); Pawhuska (here, next to this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); First Boy Scout Troop in America (approx. 0.2 miles away); An Answer To Prayer (approx. half a mile away); Restoring the Whiting Apartments (approx. half a mile away); Vernon Whiting (approx. half a mile away); Site of the First Osage Agency Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pawhuska.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 25, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.