Santa Fe in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Captain Diego Arias de Quiros
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1697.
Location. 35° 41.247′ N, 105° 56.218′ W. Marker is in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in Santa Fe County. Marker is on East Palance Avenue just west of Cathedral Place, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 113 E Palace Ave, Santa Fe NM 87501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Building Stood Here Before 1680 (a few steps from this marker); Sena Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Diego de Vargas Zapata Luján Ponce de León, El Marques de la Nava de Barcinas (within shouting distance of this marker); Hitching Post at the End of the Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Santa Fe’s First ChapelKateri Tekakwitha (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fray Angélico Chávez (about 300 feet away); Annexation of New Mexico (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Fe.
More about this marker. “De Vargas” on the plaque refers to Don Diego de Vargas (1643–1704) a Spanish governor of the New Spain territory of Santa Fe de Nuevo México, today the US states of New Mexico and Arizona. He is known for leading the reconquest of the territory in 1692 following the Pueblo Revolt of 1680.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 681 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.