Pampa in Gray County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Peter W. Gray
— Gray County —
County Named for Texas Confederate. Virginia-born, came to Texas 1838. Aided 1839 removal Texas Shawness. Officer in Milam Guards, Texas Republic. Political, cultural leader in Houston, Republic, State, and Confederacy: he was district attorney, judge, Justice Texas Supreme Court, Legislator in Texas and C.S.A. Delegate to Texas Secession Convention that raised troops to seize U.S. forts, provided for Texas frontier defense, and ratified C.S.A. Constitution.
Gray in 1864 became Treasury Agent for the "amputated" C.S.A. Sector West of the Mississippi River. There, in effect, he was Treasury Secretary for a land in chaos. Smuggled currency was scarce. Often it was hijacked. No western press could be found to print notes. Couriers and Pony Express were Gray's "wireless" to the Confederate capital. Ammunition, arms, medicines, factory goods vital to the war effort had to be imported for Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, as well as for Texas. Blockade-runners exported cotton via Havana to Europe. Cattle and cotton went to market in Mexico, as Gray served the gallant Confederacy.
A Memorial to Texans Who
Erected 1963 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 3997.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 32.221′ N, 100° 57.838′ W. Marker is in Pampa, Texas, in Gray County. Marker is at the intersection of West Francis Avenue and North Russell Street, on the right when traveling east on West Francis Avenue. Marker is on the southwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pampa TX 79065, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gray County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Combs-Worley Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pampa City Hall (about 500 feet away); Pampa (about 700 feet away); First National Bank in Pampa (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vittorio Emanuel von Brunow, M. D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oil Discovery in Gray County (approx. 0.2 miles away); White Deer Land Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pampa.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association. In 1876 the Texas legislature named Gray County in his honor. (Submitted on May 31, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.