Near White Deer in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana
The Last Great Texas Panhandle Drive was organized here at N Bar N (N-N) Headquarters. Ranch manager was J.L. Harrison; trail boss T.L. (Tom) Coffee. 100 cowboys drove 10 herds, each with 2500 cattle, or a total of 25,000 beeves, to Montana from April to September 1892. The cattle belonged to Niedringhaus Brothers, German tinsmiths of St. Louis, who put into ranching a fortune made in enamel granite household wares.
From 1882 to 1886, N Bar N leased range in Carson and neighboring counties from the Francklyn Land & Cattle Company, a British syndicate backed by Cunard Steamship Line. Afterward this range belonged to White Deer Land Company. The N Bar N outfit left here because White Deer Land Company wanted the range cleared of large herds. By 1907 the 650,000 acres of its land was offered for sale to small ranchers
Erected 1965 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3044.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Animals.
Location. 35° 26.722′ N, 101° 9.091′ W. Marker is near White Deer, Texas, in Carson County. Marker is on U.S. 60 0.2 miles east of County Road 18, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: White Deer TX 79097, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White Deer (approx. 1.4 miles away); Jackson General Store (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hotel at White Deer (approx. 1.4 miles away); First Baptist Church of White Deer (approx. 1.4 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); White Deer Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Polish Settlers (approx. 1˝ miles away); White Deer United Methodist Church (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in White Deer.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 696 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.