Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana
The Last Great Texas Panhandle Drive was organized here at N Bar N (N-N) Headquarters. Ranch manager was J.L. Harrison; trail boss, T.L. (Tom) Coffee. 100 cowboys drove 10 herds, each with 2500 cattle, or a total of 25,000 beeves, to Montana, April 1 to September 1892. The cattle belonged to Niedringhaus Brothers, German tinsmiths of St. Louis, who put into ranching a fortune made in enamel granite household wares.
From 1882 to 1886, N Bar N leased range in Carson and neighboring counties from the Francklyn Land & Cattle Company, a British syndicate backed by Cunard Steamship Line. Afterward this range belonged to White Deer Land Company. The N Bar N outfit left here because White Deer Land Company wanted the range cleared of large herds. By 1907 the 650,000 acres of its land was offered for sale to small ranchers and
N-N lease, 1889-1893, was White Deer Lands, Successor to Francklyn Land & Cattle Co., both backed by the 5th Earl of Roseberry and Cunard family.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3043.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Animals. A significant historical date for this entry is April 1, 1887.
Location. 35° 20.784′ N, 101° 22.804′ W. Marker is in Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Elsie Avenue (State Highway 207) and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the Carson County Square House Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 Elsie Avenue, Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Farm and Ranch Building (here, next to this marker); Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City (here, next to this marker); Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867 (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Dugout (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple Lea Houston (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Square House (within shouting distance of this marker); Conway Community Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panhandle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 473 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.