Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Temple Lea Houston
(August 12, 1860 - August 15, 1905)
When a new capitol was dedicated in Austin in 1888, he made the major speech, taking pride that lands in the Panhandle had paid for the magnificent building. Amid the ovations of that day were pleas that he run for Governor or United States Congressman, but he declined. About 1893 he moved to Oklahoma and gained added fame as a lawyer and orator. Thus the fledgling of “The Raven” became a legend in his own time. He was the father of two daughters
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5220.)
Location. 35° 20.776′ N, 101° 22.819′ W. Marker is in Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Elsie Avenue (Route 207) and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the Carson County Square House Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 503 Elsie Avenue, Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Dugout (a few steps from this marker); Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867 (a few steps from this marker); Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City (a few steps from this marker); Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers (a few steps from this marker); Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana (within shouting distance of this marker); The Square House (within shouting distance of this marker); Carson County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Conway Community Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panhandle.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Communications • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Temple Lea Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.