Friona in Parmer County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The school achieved its greatest fame in 1954. Racial segregation of schoolchildren was considered legal in the 20th century, reaffirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1896 in the case of Plessy v. Ferguson. On May 17, 1954, the court overturned the decision, declaring segregation unconstitutional in Brown v. Board of Education. Chief Justice Earl Warren wrote, “We conclude that, in the field of public education, the doctrine of ‘separate but equal’ has no place.” Federal and state government moved slowly to implement change, but in Friona, progress would not wait.
The Robert Walker, Jr. family came to town in September 1954. When Superintendent Dalton
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13615.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Education.
Location. 34° 38.316′ N, 102° 43.235′ W. Marker is in Friona, Texas, in Parmer County. Marker is at the intersection of West 8th Street and Euclid Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Friona TX 79035, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Friona (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of First Church in City of Friona (about 800 feet away); Friona Women's Clubs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Parmerton (approx. 6.1 miles away); Black Community (approx. 7½ miles away); Bovina (approx. 12½ miles away); Bovina Cemetery (approx. 12½ miles away); Bovina United Methodist Church (approx. 12.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friona.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.