Near Friona in Parmer County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Parmerton
(Elevation 4,202 feet)
In 1907, Parmerton Townsite Co. bought 200 acres of the farm and laid out a town, which was designated first county seat that same year. A post office was soon established.
When, in late 1907, Farwell was elected new county seat, Parmerton's citizens departed, taking homes and other buildings with them. Only the railroad switch marks the site today.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4871.)
Location. 34° 34.886′ N, 102° 48.192′ W. Marker is near Friona, Texas, in Parmer County. Marker is on U.S. 60 0.3 miles west of County Road 14, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Friona TX 79035, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of First Church in City of Friona (approx. 6 miles away); Friona Schools (approx. 6.1 miles away); Friona Bovina (approx. 6.4 miles away); Friona Women's Clubs (approx. 6.4 miles away); Bovina Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Bovina United Methodist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Black Community (approx. 13.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Friona.
Categories. • Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Site of Parmerton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 423 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.