Bovina in Parmer County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Elevation: 4070 feet)
Originated as the Hay Hook Line Camp of the XIT — famed ranch that received over 3,000,000 acres of land in payment for building Texas State Capitol, 1882-1888. One of the earliest structures in Parmer County, division number eight headquarters of XIT, stood 400 yards northeast of site of this marker. The shipping pasture, 640 acres in area, was 1 mile east. The Pecos & Northern Texas Railroad built to this point in 1898, and cattle for eastern markets were loaded here. Train crews called the place “Bull Town”, but the community chose the name “Bovina” when establishing the post office in 1899.
This was the first post office in Parmer County, created 1876, named for Martin Parmer (1778-1850), patriot and signer of Texas Declaration of Independence. Although known to explorers early as 18th century, county had few inhabitants before 1907, when it was organized, with Bovina one of its leading towns.
By 1915, Bovina had 200 people, 2 churches, a bank, a school, and a hotel for prospective
It is now market and supply center for rich area of irrigated farms, and still produces fine cattle.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 471.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Animals • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 34° 31.367′ N, 102° 53.361′ W. Marker is in Bovina, Texas, in Parmer County. Marker is on Gardner Avenue (U.S. 60) 0.1 miles east of North 3rd Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bovina TX 79009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bovina United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bovina Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Parmerton (approx. 6.4 miles away); Oklahoma Lane (approx. 11˝ miles away); Site of First Church in City of Friona (approx. 12.4 miles away); Friona's First Barbershop (approx. 12˝ miles away); Friona Schools (approx. 12˝ miles away); Friona (approx. 12.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bovina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 715 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.