El Dorado in Butler County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Grandma Anderson's House
This house was built in 1918 at 800½ South Main Street, El Dorado, Kansas, (Gordon's Addition, Lot 5, Block 4) in direct response to the oil boom and the massive amounts of people moving to the area looking for housing. Originally the home was two single-room rentals. Later the wall was opened up and the house was rented as a two room home. This is an excellent example of the type of rental housing that was available to the oil boomers. It also shows the quick thinking of El Dorado citizens, who built rental houses onto the back portion of their lots for additional income.
Grandma Mary Elizabeth Anderson rented and lived in this house from 1931 until the early 1950s. She rented the home from a Mr. Cropson, a radio repairman, who owned and lived in the property in front of this house.
The house was never modernized with running water or plumbing. There was a water hydrant just outside the kitchen door and farther back was the outhouse.
Grandma Anderson was born in 1872 and was 59 years old when she started renting this house. She had nine children from 1893 until 1912. She and her husband, Lewis Anderson, moved
After Grandma Anderson's death, her granddaughter Barbara Redburn, purchased the house for $2,600 in September 1986. It was moved to one mile east of Cambridge, Kansas by Ralph Hobson to be restored in memory of her beloved Grandmother. When the museum began the oil town living history area, the Redburns donated the house and all its contents to the museum.
Erected by Kansas Oil Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Women. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1986.
Location. 37° 48.954′ N, 96° 50.673′ W. Marker is in El Dorado, Kansas, in Butler County. Marker is in the fenced outdoor Kansas Oil Museum exhibit area of the Butler County History Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 383 East Central Avenue (US 54), El Dorado KS 67042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oil Field Boom Towns (within shouting distance of this marker); Flare (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Tank Car (within shouting distance of this marker); Kansas Oil Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cable Tool Drilling Rig (about 300 feet away); Mrs. Addie Cowley Bradley (about 300 feet away); Steel Oil Derrick / 1930's Cable-Tool Drilling Rig (about 300 feet away); Tool Rack (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Dorado.
Also see . . . Butler County History Center and Kansas Oil Museum. (Submitted on June 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.