Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Douglas City in Trinity County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Lowden’s Wagon Road

 
 
Lowden’s Wagon Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 3, 2012
1. Lowden’s Wagon Road Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1858 by W.S. Lowden. This was the first wagon road to Weaverville from Lewiston. From Lowden’s Ranch the roads forked. One went through Lewiston and up over Hoadley Peak on the Lewiston Turnpike, which was a toll road built by W.S. Lowden. The other road went past Buckhorn Station and up over Buckhorn Summit to a point 1.5 miles west of Tower House (French Gulch Turnoff), There the two roads came together.
 
Erected by Boy Scouts of America, Troop 15.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 40° 41.74′ N, 122° 55.691′ W. Marker is near Douglas City, California, in Trinity County. Marker is at the intersection of Little Brown's Creek Road and California Route 3 & 229 on Little Brown's Creek Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Douglas City CA 96024, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Steel Bridge (approx. 1½ miles away); Race Track – Airport – Golf Course (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hamilton’s Store
Lowden’s Wagon Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 3, 2012
2. Lowden’s Wagon Road Marker
(approx. 1.9 miles away); Lee Family Ranch House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Anvil Firing (approx. 2.4 miles away); Paymaster Mine Stampmill (approx. 2.4 miles away); Trinity Congregational Church (approx. 2½ miles away); Old Section (approx. 2½ miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Lowden, William Spencer, 1830-1912. He founded the Weaverville and Shasta Wagon Road Company, which built the first wagon road into Trinity County. It was completed in 1858. He also owned the Lewiston Turnpike Company. (Submitted on June 9, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 4, 2020