Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crooked Creek Civic League in Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Toll House - Michigan Road

 
 
Toll House - Michigan Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mbowyer, October 1, 2006
1. Toll House - Michigan Road Marker
Inscription.  Operated by Augusta Gravel Road Co., circa 1866-1892. First major state road, built in the 1830's, from the Ohio River to Lake Michigan.
 
Erected 1961 by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of Indiana. (Marker Number 49.1961.3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers, and the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series lists.
 
Location. 39° 50.422′ N, 86° 11.307′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. It is in Crooked Creek Civic League. Marker is on North Michigan Road (U.S. 421) north of Cold Spring Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4702 N Michigan Road, Indianapolis IN 46228, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rhoads Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Greenlawn Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Wright-Whitesell-Gentry Cemetery (approx. one mile
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Hinkle Fieldhouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Crown Hill (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
 
House that sits behind the toll house sign. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mbowyer, October 1, 2006
2. House that sits behind the toll house sign.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2006, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,137 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2006, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=563

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024