Near Cartersville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Etowah and the War
Mark Cooper sold the works in 1862. In the 1863, the Confederacy took over the firm seeking to increase production. As Sherman marched by in 1864, mindful of the war value of iron, he sent troops, who, after a brisk skirmish, burned the plant on May 22. This ended an era -- the works were not rebuilt after the War, as cheaper and better production methods had been found.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-47.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 22, 1862.
Location. 34° 9.923′ N, 84° 43.811′ W. Marker is near Cartersville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker can be reached from Georgia Route 20 Spur, one mile Georgia Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Allatoona (a few steps from this marker); Mark Anthony Cooper's Iron Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); Federal Fort (approx. 2.6 miles away); Etowah (approx. 2.7 miles away); Friendship Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Emerson (approx. 3.1 miles away); Federal Trenches (approx. 3½ miles away); The Crow's Nest (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cartersville.
More about this marker. This marker has been moved more than once in the past 25 years.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Mark Anthony Cooper's furnace Marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,472 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on June 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 18, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.