Greencastle in Putnam County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Handy's Dairy 1916 - -2002
— " A Cow and A Half - Dairy " —
By 1921 the herd had increased to a dozen cows and the family moved out of town to the Old Peck Farm on 43 South. Demand had also grown to include grade schools seeking milk for the student body. Handy was the first dairy to pasteurize milk in the county. As growth continued Handy’s started buying milk from local farmers.
Two years later Handy’s located the distribution business at 312 North Vine Street while the 35-cow herd was located on Cemetery Road. Production was now over 150 gallons of milk a
A fire struck the new plant in 1925. Desperate to meet business commitments, the Handys gratefully accepted an offer of temporary space at the Gardner Brothers Ice Cream Plant. They operated from that location until 1926 when the 312 N. Vine Street would be rebuilt.
Delivery was no longer by horse and wagon. In 1930 Handy’s delivered its products in Stutz package trucks. By 1950 they began using refrigerated Divco trucks. Soon after Handy’s bought the Gardner Ice Cream Co. And added ice cream and a variety of novelty dairy products.
Bernard Handy was in a fatal car accident May of 1961. Bernard’s son, Norman, who had grown up in the family business along with his Mother Wilma continued with the success of Handy’s Dairy, Norman as plant manager and president with Wilma the office manager. Norman, a 1950 Purdue University graduate with a B.S. degree in Agriculture was most capable to continue the family business.
For over 40 years Norman continued the successful operation of Handy’s Dairy. Handy’s Dairy is now owned by Prairie Farms and in 2002 brought the close of another well-known family owned business in Greencastle and Putnam County that had served our community well.
Erected by Heritage Preservation Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
Location. 39° 38.636′ N, 86° 51.813′ W. Marker is in Greencastle, Indiana, in Putnam County. Marker is at the intersection of South Vine Street and East Washington Street (U.S. 231), on the right when traveling south on South Vine Street. Located on "Heritage Wall" in the bottom row - - first marker on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greencastle IN 46135, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ancient Peoples Who Once Walked Here (here, next to this marker); Prevo 1900 - 1992 (here, next to this marker); Women in Greencastle History (here, next to this marker); Eitel's Flowers (here, next to this marker); Cannon's Men's Wear 1891 -- 1985 (here, next to this marker); Abraham Lincoln's Biography (here, next to this marker); Eli Lilly & The Civil War (1861–1865 ) (here, next to this marker); Percy Lavon Julian (1899-1975) (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greencastle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 604 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 15, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.