Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Leming in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Brite Cemetery

 
 
Brite Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John A Hensarling, June 21, 2012
1. Brite Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

Brite Cemetery has served citizens of Atascosa County since the 1850s. It was formally set aside when Thomas Ransdele Brite passed away in 1859, though the earliest marked burial is that of his infant son, Dan (d. 1854). Thomas Brite was born in 1824 and came to Texas with his parents, Henry and Elizabeth (Moore), in 1839. He joined the Republic of Texas Army in the 1840s and participated in the Vasquez Campaign, Woll Campaign and Somervell Expedition, where he was one of the Texans who returned home as ordered by Sam Houston, rather than continuing into Mexico. Brite also fought in the Mexican-American War. He would become Atascosa County's first tax assessor-collector and later serve as county treasurer.

After Thomas Brite's death, the land was left to his wife, Mary Louisa Fuller, and their two living sons, William and Charles. By 1876, The Brite family sold their land to Robert E. Neill, a Texas Ranger and veteran of the Mexican-American War who would be buried in the cemetery upon his death in 1878. Another notable burial is that of Alfred Kelso, Sr. (d. 1898), a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto and sheriff of Gonzales
Brite Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John A Hensarling, June 21, 2012
2. Brite Cemetery Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
County in the later 1830s and early 1840s. Also buried here are a number of other war veterans.

At one time, the Neill Cemetery Association cared for the burial ground, but in 1955 the Brite Cemetery Association organized to care for the site. Today, Brite Cemetery still serves nearby communities as an important historical reminder of pioneer settlers of Atascosa County.

Historic Texas Cemetery - 2006
 
Erected 2007 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 13779.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
 
Location. 29° 3.41′ N, 98° 26.77′ W. Marker is near Leming, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on Verdi Road, one mile west of Farm to Market Road 3006, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leming TX 78050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of San Augustine Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Verdi (approx. 2.9 miles away); Shiloh Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 6.4 miles away); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (approx. 6.9 miles away); Pleasanton City Cemetery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 7 miles away); Old Rock Schoolhouse (approx. 7 miles away); First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (approx. 7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 707 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=56588

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 22, 2022