Pleasanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pleasanton City Cemetery
Burials in the Pleasanton City Cemetery include a number of infants and children in the older section, reflecting the harshness of pioneer life in the community's early years. Also buried here are Dr. James H. Lyons (1805-1881), who served in the second Texas legislature, was a Mexican war veteran and twice mayor of San Antonio; Mexican War veteran captain Hartwell Coleman Fountain (1810-1886); Graves Peeler (1886-1977), who is credited with helping save the Longhorn cattle breed in the 1930s;
Known in the 19th century as the Doak Cemetery and as Sandhill Cemetery, the historic burial ground is maintained by the Pleasanton Cemetery Association.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12533.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 28° 57.867′ N, 98° 29.506′ W. Marker is in Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of West Adams Street and North Bryant Street, on the right when traveling west on West Adams Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasanton School Integration (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Rock Schoolhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Pleasanton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pleasanton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.