Pleasanton School Integration
Opposition to school integration in Texas was very apparent and bills such as House Bill 65 abolished the right of school trustees to integrate without a petition from the community and then a vote. The community of Pleasanton provided the petition and held a vote on October 26, 1957. By a vote of 343 to 88, Pleasanton School District became the first integrated school under House
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16243.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Education.
Location. 28° 57.88′ N, 98° 29.65′ W. Marker is in Pleasanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on W. Adams Street. Between School and Mark Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 W Adams, Pleasanton TX 78064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasanton City Cemetery (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Pleasanton (approx. half a mile away); Old Rock Schoolhouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pleasanton First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pleasanton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pleasanton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.