Queenston in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
This small redoubt, or square fortification, and the U-shaped advance battery, named in honour of Sir Gordon Drummond, were built in the late spring of 1814 to defend the main portage road from Chippawa to Queenston. The earthworks enclosed a blockhouse which sheltered 100 men. After the British defeat at the battle of Chippawa, these men abandoned Fort Drummond and joined Major-General Riall's forces retiring to Fort George on 10 July 1814. For two weeks the fort and surrounding heights were held by American forces. When they retreated to Lundy's Lane, the British reoccupied Fort Drummond.
[French Text]: Le Fort Drummond
Nommées en l'honneur de sir Gordon Drummond, cette petite redoute ou fortification carrée et la batterie avancée en U furent construites tard au printemps 1814 pour défendre la principale route de portage entre Chippawa et Queenston. Les ouvrages de terre protégeaient un fortin qui abritait 100 hommes. Après la défaite des Anglais à la bataille de Chippawa, les troupes du fort se joignirent à celles du major général Riall et se retirèrent
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. A significant historical date for this entry is July 10, 1814.
Location. 43° 9.555′ N, 79° 3.263′ W. Marker is in Queenston, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker can be reached from Niagara Parkway north of Portage Road. This historic marker is affixed`to a stone wall, at the northern entrance to a children's water/splash recreation area, that is located in Queenston Heights Park. The Brock Memorial Monument is just a short walk away from this historic marker, to the northeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14184 Niagara Parkway, Queenston ON L0S 1L0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Queenston Heights (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Brock's Monument (about 150 meters away); a different marker also named Brock's Monument (about 150 meters away); a different marker also named The Battle of Queenston Heights (about 150 meters away); Sir Isaac Brock (about 150 meters away); Sir Roger Hale SheaffeThe "Colored Corps" 1812 - 1815 (about 180 meters away); The Decisive Battle (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Queenston.
More about this marker. The earthwork, that has the stone wall that the historic marker is affixed to, that surrounds the water/splash recreational area marks the location of Fort Drummond, the recreational area having been built into what was left of the fort's earthworks.
Also see . . . Fort Drummond (Queenston Heights). Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on August 5, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 528 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 22, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 23, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.