Jourdanton in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jourdanton City Cemetery
The Jourdanton City Cemetery was originally used by all denominations; Lutheran and Catholic cemeteries were later established in other locations. The earliest marked graves here are those of Roland Purgason, an infant who died in 1910, and William P. White, who died in 1911. The Jourdanton City Cemetery Association organized in 1918, with John Moore as first president. The association added acreage to the cemetery in the 1950s, enlarging the graveyard to more than three city blocks. About one hundred veterans buried here have been identified, at least seven
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15165.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 28° 54.717′ N, 98° 31.952′ W. Marker is in Jourdanton, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Walton Avenue and Fig Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jourdanton TX 78026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Jourdanton (approx. half a mile away); Jourdanton Independent School District (approx. half a mile away); Jourdanton United Methodist Church (approx. Mercy Hospital (approx. 0.9 miles away); Jourdan Campbell (approx. 0.9 miles away); Jourdanton (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ralph Roy Smith (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jourdanton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 706 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.