Chester in Plumas County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Olde Towne Corner Store
It was purchased by Sue & Harry Isbell in 1929. Bill Poyner was the proprietor in the 50’s & 60’s. It has been owned and run by Ed, Lois & Gary Lickiss since 1976.
Maude Gay, cousin to the Olsens, started the Post Office in 1908 & moved it here in 1912. It has been a library, insurance office, ice house & had the first gas pumps in Chester. Rumor has it that some bootleg liquor may have passed thru these doors in the good old days. It was and remains a hub of activity in Olde Towne.
Erected 2003 by E Clampus Vitus, Las Plumas del Oro Chapter No. 8, Vigilante Outpost No. 1911.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 40° 18.686′ N, 121° 13.612′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 189 Main Street, Chester CA 96020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Char's Beauty Salon (here, next to this marker); Mt. Lassen Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Chester Library (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of the Lumberjack (about 700 feet away); Rainbow Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chester Veterans Memorial Plaza (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dave Stratford 1945 – 2001 (approx. 0.6 miles away); "Dinky" (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 443 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.