Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Apr. 16, 1865
Erected by Benning Camp, United Confederate Veterans.
Location. 32° 28.55′ N, 84° 59.033′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Linwood Boulevard and 7th Avenue. The marker is in Linwood Cemetery, overlooking the Confederate graves in Section Cemetery M in the southwest corner of the cemetery, behind the Sexton's office. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Linwood Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Brigadier General Henry Lewis Benning (about 600 feet away); Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses Last Land Battle in War of 1861-65 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tyler Home (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. The United Confederate Veterans held its last reunion in 1951, so the marker must predate that time.
Regarding This Gun. The gun is a 6.4-inch Brooke Rifled Cannon, S85, weighing 10,800 pounds. It was made at the Confederate Naval Gun Foundry, Selma, Alabama.
The Confederate ram mentioned on the marker was the C.S.S. Jackson, also known as the C.S.S. Chattahoochee. It carried four 7-inch Brooke Rifles, two 6.4-inch Brooke Rifles, and two 12 pounder boat howitzers.
The remains of the C.S.S. Jackson are at the Confederate Naval Museum in Columbus. Further information about the ship is here: Remains of CSS Jackson
A photograph of the Jackson shortly after launching is here: CSS Jackson
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for This Gun.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 26, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.