Plymouth in Washington County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Unlike Ewer, some of his men kept fighting, and the Confederates eventually withdrew because they lacked sufficient numbers to hold the town. A Confederate sniper, however,
As the Confederates withdrew, they burned half the town, which suffered further during engagements the following year. The Ausbon House, probably built about 1840 for Edmond Windley, then bought by the Ausbon family in 1885 and modified, is one of only four surviving antebellum houses in Plymouth.
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 51.902′ N, 76° 44.96′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, North Carolina, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of East Third Street and Washington Street, on the left when traveling east on East Third Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth NC 27962, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Plymouth (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Plymouth (within shouting distance of this marker); Plymouth United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hampton Academy (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Plymouth (about 600 feet away); Ram Albemarle (about 700 feet away); Washington County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); New Chapel Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Also see . . . Ausbon House. Washington County TDA (Submitted on July 1, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.