New Paltz in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
by Daniel Dubois. Site
first redoubt. There are
port holes in the east end.
Erected 1935 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1705.
Location. 41° 45.093′ N, 74° 5.3′ W. Marker is in New Paltz, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on Huguenot Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Paltz NY 12561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bevier House (within shouting distance of this marker); Deyo House (within shouting distance of this marker); Stone Church-1773 (within shouting distance of this marker); Jean Hasbrouck House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Paltz Patentees (about 300 feet away); New Paltz (about 300 feet away); Walloon Church (about 300 feet away); The Reformed Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Paltz.
More about this marker. The Huguenot Street Historic District is located along that street in New Paltz, New York. The seven stone houses and three accompanying structures in the district were built in the late 17th century by Huguenot settlers fleeing religious persecution in France and Belgium. They have been in use ever since, making this street the oldest continuously inhabited neighborhood in the United States of America.
Also see . . . Historic Huguenot Street. Website homepage (Submitted on February 24, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,226 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 24, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.