Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built 1720 near this spot
A palisaded trading post
First French Fort on
Erected 1932 by State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration • Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1720.
Location. 43° 9.956′ N, 79° 2.672′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker can be reached from South 4th Street south of Tuscarora Street. This historical marker is located on the grounds of the Earl W. Brydges Artpark.To get to this historic marker one must take South 4th Street south all the way to where the road ends, at the entrance to the Earl W. Brydges Artpark. The historic marker is on the grounds of the artpark, on a section of land just beyond the first large parking area and just before the second large parking area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewiston NY 14092, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Magazin Royale (here, next to this marker); Lewiston Mound (within shouting The Lewiston Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cradles (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Niagara 1979, by Gene Davis, Reinstallation (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park (about 400 feet away); The Gully and Portage Road (about 400 feet away); Lower Landing Archeological District (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
Also see . . . Joncaire's Blockhouse. This is a link to information provided by the New York State Military Museum. (Submitted on July 5, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 4, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 5, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.