Near Davis in Yolo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of the Jerome C. and Mary Chiles Davis Homestead
Erected by Davis Historical and Landmark Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 32.42′ N, 121° 44.84′ W. Marker is near Davis, California, in Yolo County. Marker can be reached from Peter J. Shields Avenue 0.1 miles west of A Street, on the left when traveling west. The marker is located on the University of California - Davis campus in a courtyard north of Sproul Hall and east of Olson Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Davis CA 95616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Bicycle Lanes in Davis (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dresbach-Hunt-Boyer Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Davis Subway Varsity Theatre (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lincoln Highway Marker (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the First Yolo County Public Library Branch (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Davis High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Davis Library Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Davis.
Regarding Site of the Jerome C. and Mary Chiles Davis Homestead. Jerome C. Davis originally came out to California with John C. Frémont's Third Expedition in 1845-1846. He was from Ohio, but met up with Frémont in St. Louis, Missouri. Davis’ obituary puts him at Sonoma, the Bear Flag Revolt, on June 14, 1846. There is circumstantial evidence to support this claim, but no direct documentary evidence. In early 1848, Davis was in Washington D. C. to testify at Frémont's court martial for mutiny.
Joseph B. Chiles—who first came to California with the Bartleson-Bidwell party in 1841—was also in attendance at the court martial. Chiles had established a ranch for himself in Napa Valley, but in 1850, Jerome came back out to California to work with Chiles to establish Yolo County’s first
Jerome C. Davis was a charter member of the California Agricultural Association and served as President. His stock farm twice won the Most Improved award, in 1858 and 1861. However, after 1861, flooding, drought, market conditions, debt and land claim issues significantly disrupted the Davis operations. In 1867, the land was sold to the California Pacific Railroad and the town of Davisville was established the next year. An alternate name under consideration was “Veranda City.”
After the University State Farm was awarded, the editor of the Davisville Enterprise, W. H. Scott, changed the name of his paper to the Davis Enterprise as it was more distinguished. The city officially incorporated in 1917 as Davis. However, the railroad never did refer to the stop as Davisville. It was always just “Davis” in the newspaper. The University Farm became a full-fledged University of California school in 1959.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 5, 2012, by Adrian Gabriel of Davis, California. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on July 7, 2012, by Adrian Gabriel of Davis, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 5, 2012, by Adrian Gabriel of Davis, California. 5, 6. submitted on July 6, 2012, by Adrian Gabriel of Davis, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.