Bayfield in Bayfield County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Memorial to Commercial Fishermen of Bayfield
Commissioned by Edwin Erickson,
Mayor of Bayfield, 1970-1976 & 1980-1988
Designed by Harold Kerr (1909-1981)
Constructed by Brian Kerr and Erickson Marine
The pilings were salvaged from the steamer “Ireland” which ran aground at Gull Island. The anchor chain came from the “Pretoria” which sank off Outer Island in 1905. The timbers are part of the ore dock at Ashland. The largest piece of sandstone came from Outer Island while the other stones were brought from Sand, Oak, Manitou, Cat, and Outer Islands.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1981.
Location. 46° 48.687′ N, 90° 48.788′ W. Marker is in Bayfield, Wisconsin, in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 Front St, Bayfield WI 54814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bayfield Historic Waterfront (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Booth Cooperage (about 400 feet away); Schooner Pretoria (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Turning Point in Place and Time (approx. 0.2 miles away); Madeline Island (approx. 2˝ miles away); Early Vessels (approx. 2.9 miles away); La Pointe Indian Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Michel Cadotte (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bayfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 24, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 24, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.