Fort Benning in Chattahoochee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Benning / Fort Benning Military Reservation
Side 1: Fort Benning
Kasihta or Cusseta Town, an important Creek Nation market, played a part in American Revolutionary affairs. In 1780 British Colonel John Tate recruited a large force of local Indians for duty with the British in their defense of Augusta, Georgia. Colonel Tate became ill during the march to Augusta; was returned to Kasihta; died, and was buried on what is now the Fort Benning Military Reservation.
Side 2: Fort Benning Military Reservation
Established following World War One, this post occupies former Indian lands sold during the Georgia Land Lottery of 1827. John Woolfolk consolidated small land holdings in 1843. Benjamin Hatcher acquired the property in 1883. Arthur Bussey purchased the plantation in 1907, selling it to the Federal Government in 1919. Fort Benning now occupies some 180,000 acres in Georgia and Alabama, most of which are in Chattahoochee County, Georgia.
Erected 1980 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesNative Americans • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1780.
Location. 32° 21.882′ N, 84° 57.365′ W. Marker is in Fort Benning, Georgia, in Chattahoochee County. Marker is on Richardson Circle, 0 miles south of Baltzell Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Benning GA 31905, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lafayette Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); China Gate (approx. 0.2 miles away); "The Buffaloes" (approx. ¼ mile away); Dwight David Eisenhower (approx. ¼ mile away); "Riverside" (approx. ¼ mile away); Post Headquarters -- JAG (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Benning - Station Hospital / National Infantry Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gowdy Field (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Benning.
More about this marker. The marker stands opposite Greene Hall on Richardson Circle
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 726 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 27, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.