Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Langtry in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Langtry

 
 
Langtry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Julie Szabo, February 7, 2008
1. Langtry Marker
Inscription.  Langtry was created in 1882, when the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad, later known as Southern Pacific, signed a deed with the Torres family, who owned the land. The town, which provided water for locomotives, developed from a tent town to a bustling settlement after the rail line was completed.

The town was most likely named for George Langtry, who led an area rail building crew. Lore, though, links the town's most famous inhabitant to its naming; Roy Bean, who owned a local saloon and served as Justice of the Peace, became known as "The Law West of the Pecos." He was enamored of Lillie Langtry, a popular British actress, and although she was probably not the town's namesake, she did visit here in the early 20th Century.

In addition to the infamous Bean, other local men and women contributed to the town's western ambience. J. P. Torres, part of the town's founding family, also served as Justice of the Peace and operated a store and saloon. He, like many of the area residents, also raised livestock, most often sheep or goats. Accessibility to the trains attracted many ranchers, who supported local businesses.

Langtry
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
supported other industries, including a rock crushing plant created for the railroad. The town also attracted tuberculosis patients who came in hopes of regaining their health. During the Mexican Revolution, soldiers came to Langtry for goods, guns and munitions. The rail line was rerouted in the 1920s, and Langtry's population declined, today existing primarily as a tourist site. The landscape and remaining buildings still speak to what once was a bustling west Texas town.
 
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13174.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
 
Location. 29° 48.519′ N, 101° 33.577′ W. Marker is in Langtry, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on Torres Avenue, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Langtry TX 78871, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William H. Dodd (a few steps from this marker); The Torres Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Jersey Lily Saloon - - 1882 - 1903 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Langtry School (about 300 feet away); Law West of the Pecos
"Hangin' Tree" and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Julie Szabo, February 7, 2008
2. "Hangin' Tree" and Marker
(about 300 feet away); Fitzsimmons-Maher Prizefight (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert Thomas Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eagle’s Nest (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Langtry.
 
Regarding Langtry. There is a Judge Roy Bean Visitor Center with lots of information.
 
Additional keywords. Rio Grande
 
Post Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Julie Szabo, February 7, 2008
3. Post Office
Visitor's Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Julie Szabo, February 7, 2008
4. Visitor's Center
Langtry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William F Haenn, January 31, 2024
5. Langtry Marker
Langtry marker and what remains of the hangman's tree in 2024. William H. Dodd marker in the background.
Langtry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Walter M. Cline, circa 1949
6. Langtry Marker
Real Photo Postcard of the Langtry Post Office in 1949.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2024. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,444 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 27, 2008, by Julie Szabo of Oldsmar, Florida.   5, 6. submitted on February 8, 2024, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=5791

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024