Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Omaha Quartermaster Depot
Fort Omaha Walking Tour
Even after the 1869 completion of the transcontinental railroad, the Army relied on mules and wagons to outfit its isolated posts. The Department of the Platte, headquartered at Fort Omaha, paid over $700,000 to acquire and transport troops and freight.
Most of the freight, often purchased from Omaha businessmen, passed through the Omaha Quartermaster Depot. Supplies for the 1876 Little Big Horn campaign against the Sioux moved up the Missouri River from Omaha to General Crook in Wyoming. Millions of dollars in Indian annuities also passed through Fort Omaha.
Erected by Metropolitan Community College, Historical Society of Douglas County, and Nebraska Committee for the Humanities. (Marker Number 12.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Forts and Castles • War, World I • Wars, US Indian.
Location. 41° 18.293′ N, 95° 57.64′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is on West Road, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha NE 68111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Omaha Hospital (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ordnance Magazine (about 700 feet away); Fort Omaha Headquarters Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Omaha Fire Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Omaha (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Omaha Post Exchange and Gymnasium (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Omaha Officers Row (approx. ¼ mile away); History of Fort Omaha (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Also see . . . Fort Omaha. (Submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.