Troy in Rensselaer County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Marcus F. Cummings, Architect
1871 - 1922
Catholic Central High School
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Shirley Ann Jackson, Ph.D., President
Samuel F. Heffner, Jr. '56, Chairman, Board of Trustees
John G. Waite Associates, Architects
Sweet Constructors, Construction Managers
Erected 2008 by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Science & Medicine.
Location. 42° 43.905′ N, 73° 41.014′ W. Marker is in Troy, New York, in Rensselaer County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and Fulton Street, on the right when traveling north on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Troy NY 12180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of the Holy Cross (within shouting distance of this marker); W & L E Gurley Building (approx. 0.2 miles The Great Fire of 1862 (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of 1819 Fifth Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ebenezer Emmons (approx. 0.3 miles away); Uncle Sam Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); E. & S. Wilson – Brick Manufactory (approx. 0.4 miles away); “Uncle Sam” Wilson’s Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Troy.
Regarding West Hall. West Hall is a building on the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute campus in Troy, New York. It is currently home to the Arts Department at RPI. It was previously a hospital, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Old Troy Hospital, added on October 25, 1973.
By spring 1918, when Rensselaer signed a contract with the War Department to participate in its Student Army Training Corps program, the now old Troy Hospital had turned into a wreck. Thieves had ripped out its plumbing and vandals had stolen other valuable building materials and sold them for scrap. Rain poured through huge holes in the roof. The hardwood floors buckled. But even in its diminished state, it remained a large, empty building,
Two surges in population rescued it. In 1923 the Albany Roman Catholic diocese purchased and then renovated the building to house a growing population of local high school-age students. The chapel was torn down and replaced with a four-story addition that contained a gymnasium, a cafeteria, and an auditorium, as well as separate, enclosed “boys” and “girls” staircases on the western façade. Catholic Central High School, when it was completed in 1925, contained 50,000 square feet of floor space and served 536 students. Within 25 years attendance swelled to more than 1,500 students and, in 1952, the diocese elected to move the school north to a larger space in Lansingburgh.
Rensselaer was experiencing its own population surge in the late 1940s, aided by the GI Bill and the increasing industry demand for engineers. Enrollment rose from 932 students in 1940 to 4,485 students by 1948, so Rensselaer seized the opportunity to buy the building to relieve
West Hall has had numerous inhabitants during its 136-year history. In its half century as a Rensselaer property, the building has been home to the Geology Department, Earth and Environmental Sciences, the staff of the Rensselaer Union (while their building was being renovated), Property Administration, Purchasing, and more.
Today, West Hall houses the Arts Department, along with the offices of Contracts and Grants, and Research Administration and Finance.
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of West Hall. (Submitted on August 9, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. West Hall - Getty Campus Heritage Study, RPI, Troy, NY. (Submitted on August 9, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
3. RPI West Hall. (Submitted on August 9, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 582 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 7, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 9. submitted on August 8, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.