Trinity in Randolph County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hardee’s Last Headquarters
— Carolinas Campaign —
(Preface, upper left):
The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the “March to the Sea.” Sherman’s objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy’s logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was reinforced at Goldsboro late March, Johnston saw the futility of further resistance and surrendered on April 26, essentially ending the Civil War.
In the second half of April 1865, as Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s army retreated west from Raleigh, his forces scattered and the army became widely dispersed. By the time he formally surrendered on April 26, the troops under his authority were encamped in Charlotte, Greensboro, High Point, Salisbury, and here at Trinity College.
Confederate Gen. William J. Hardee had retreated with his corps to a point ten miles east of here by April 17. Before the
Early in May, as Johnston negotiated the surrender of his army to Union Gen. William T. Sherman at Bennett Place near Durham, Hardee moved for Salisbury to board a train for Alabama. In 1888, a newspaper published a romantic account of Hardee’s breaking camp and furling his flag at Trinity College: “His daughter, Miss Annie Hardee, accompanied by the staff and many weeping and tattered soldiers, while the college bell, nearby, tolled the requiem of the Southern Confederacy, and while officers and men stood uncovered, tenderly dismantled and forever furled this last long emblem of Southern chivalry and Southern bravery.”
( Sidebar : )
A group of Methodists and Quakers organized Brown’s Schoolhouse here in 1838; the North Carolina legislature chartered Union Institute Academy here in 1841, and the school changed its name to Trinity College in 1859. It relocated to Durham in 1892, where it became Duke University
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1775.
Location. 35° 53.658′ N, 79° 59.476′ W. Marker is in Trinity, North Carolina, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 62 and Trinity College Road, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 62. The marker is located next to the Trinity College Memorial Gazebo. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trinity NC 27370, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Trinity College (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mustering out of Confederate Army (approx. 1.8 miles away); Springfield Friends Meeting (approx. 2.1 miles away); Model Farm (approx. 2.8 miles away); Highland Cotton Mills VillageRev. Benjamin Elton Cox (approx. 3.9 miles away); Southern Furniture Exposition Building (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trinity.
More about this marker. A portrait of Gen. William J. Hardee, Courtesy Library of Congress, appears at the lower left of the marker. The sidebar features a portrait of Dr. Braxton Craven, and a photo of the Trinity College building with Trinity Guards, 1861, both courtesy of Duke University Archives.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 624 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 10, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.