Durham in Durham County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Original Chimney of the Bennett House
The original Bennett House, which burned on October 12, 1921, faced east on the old Hillsboro Road; the road ran in 1865 as now, south of the building. The structure consisted of one room downstairs and a small room over it; in the former Generals Johnston and Sherman held their conferences and signed the terms of their agreements.
On the south side of the road stood the stable, and nearer the road was a well, still to be seen. Under the large white-oak tree near the well the Generals hitched their horses, and their escorts waited during the conferences.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1904.
Location. 36° 1.755′ N, 78° 58.439′ W. Marker is in Durham, North Carolina, in Durham County. Marker is on Bennett Memorial Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located on the grounds of the Bennett Place State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4409 Bennett Memorial Road, Durham NC 27705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bennett Place (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Bennett PlaceNorth Carolina (a few steps from this marker); Unity (within shouting distance of this marker); Rotary Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); Meeting of the Generals (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named North Carolina (approx. 3 miles away); Duke Homestead (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Durham.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 11, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 5. submitted on August 17, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.