Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Dundee Memorial Park Streetcar Wall
Dundee, Omaha's first suburb, was connected to downtown by the streetcar. Dundee was literally the end-of-the-line. The streetcars reversed their course just west of this site. In 1891, a steam driven "trolley" and then a horse-drawn car brought people free of charge to the new neighborhood. In 1892, the line changed to electricity and began to charge a nickel for the ride downtown. The streetcar's reliable transportation to jobs and shopping helped the neighborhood grow. During the 1950s, buses and cars became the preferred mode of transportation and the streetcar lines were abandoned. The streetcar ride from Dundee on March 4, 1955, was the official last ride in Omaha.
Erected 2002 by Concerned Individuals and Organizations.
Location. 41° 15.893′ N, 95° 59.806′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of Underwood Avenue and Happy Hollow Boulevard, on the left when traveling west on Underwood Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5312 Underwood Avenue, Omaha NE 68132, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Jan Rosicky (approx. 1.7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); Omaha (approx. 2 miles away); Historic Prospect Hill -- Omaha's Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Andrew Jackson Poppleton (approx. 2.1 miles away); William Davis Brown (approx. 2.1 miles away); Alfred Sorenson (approx. 2.1 miles away); John Wesley Nichols (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Also see . . . History of Dundee. (Submitted on August 12, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Dundee Memorial Park Streetcar Wall.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 474 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 12, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.